When to replace seals?
You should check the weatherstrips' condition annually when you wash the windows or at minimum once every five years. The seals should usually be changed between 5-40 times during the windows'/doors' lifetime, depending on the quality and material of the seals. When you replace the weatherstrips you should check the strips' durability - there are concrete differences between materials and quality.
Durability of materials (RK Seals)
- PU-Seal (so called dust seal / foam seal) – 0,5-2 years
- EPDM-Seal (most common consumer seal) – 4-8 years
- Silicone Seal (track or omega seals) – approx. 15-20 years
- TPE -seal (environmentally friendly, track seals) – 12-15 years
Hints on when to replace weatherstrips
- dust and soot in seals (leak or too narrow seal)
- water and snow between windows (leak or too narrow seal)
- ice or vapour inside outer window (inner seal too narrow or old)
- vapour in inner glass (no seal in outer window, high air moisture percentage, curtain or lots of flowers in front of window, weak deaeration or no replacement air valve)